After spending most of my weekend reading articles, researching, and watching social media posts and comments about Friday’s shooting, I’ve come away with new wisdom that I feel the need to share. In no particular order of importance…
1. When trying to learn more about the ACTUAL effectiveness of gun control laws, avoid sources that have a liberal or conservative slant – and those are hard to find BTW. You will likely encounter some potentially compelling insights mixed in with some half-truths and outright lies. I’ve spent HOURS trying to wade my way through the easiest to find crap out there, and I honestly don’t much feel like getting into what I learned from those endeavors statistically speaking, but I will say that it isn’t nearly as clear cut as most people seem to think, which brings me to #2…
2. Apparently, a good majority of Americans already have this whole thing figured out. They know exactly what we need to do to reduce violent crimes. They know why Adam Lanza committed the act that he did. He was either mentally ill, not mentally ill, or just a “fucking crazy ass pyscho” who is currently burning in hell. (This is considered NOT mentally ill too, just so you know. Apparently, we seem to have some interesting ideals of what does and does not qualify as mentally ill.) Everyone seems to KNOW that it was his mothers fault (if he was mentally ill) for having guns in the house to begin with (under the assumption that she knew he was mentally ill. I mean, IF he was.) Or that it was his fault for not seeking help for his deranged mind. Or lets take it BACK to his mother. It is still her fault for raising such a fucked up kid, regardless if he was or was not mentally ill. Maybe he was just one of those “bad seeds,” whatever the fuck that means – which is still his mothers fault.
I feel a bit behind the curve here because my mind has been spinning all weekend as I have tried to make sense of the multitudes of opinions being splashed around the internet, and even after a whole weekend of being buried in reading and research, I don’t feel like I have ANYTHING figured out.
3. People seem to react on emotion, and jump to conclusions based on their predisposed biases. This seems problematic, because problems such as the ones we are facing in America are NEVER one-dimensional.
4. Apparently, “things like this” happen because we have removed God from our schools (according to Mike Huckabee and other asshats like him), but more importantly because we as a culture are losing god. We are becoming godless, and without God to drive our morals and invoke fear into our being, us godless folk are just going to keep destroying people with our violent behaviors (more presumptions, since we have ZERO idea what Adam Lanza’s religious beliefs were). You know – because religious folk have NEVER been known for violent behaviors. Nope. Not at all.
Personally, I am thankful this was pointed out to me, so that in my future endeavors I can try to be conscious of the negative effects of my godlessness, so as not to let my violent nature get too out of hand.
5. This may be by far the most important thing that I have learned… That as much as the idea of people that commit violent crimes (like Adam Lanza) scare me, I’m almost just as afraid of some of the people that think of themselves as being “better” than Adam Lanza.